Unexpected long-term effects of calcium supplementation in pregnancy on maternal bone outcomes in women with a low calcium intake: a follow-up study
Language: 
English
Short Title: 
Unexpected long-term effects of calcium supplementation in pregnancy on maternal bone outcomes in women with a low calcium intake
Abstract: 

BACKGROUND: Calcium supplementation of pregnant Gambian women with a low calcium intake results in lower maternal bone mineral content in the subsequent lactation. OBJECTIVE: The objective was to investigate whether the lower bone mineral content persists long term. DESIGN: All women in the calcium supplementation trial (International Trial Registry ISRCTN96502494) who had been scanned with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry at 52 wk of lactation (L52; n = 79) were invited for follow-up when neither pregnant nor lactating for ≥3 mo (NPNL) or at 52 wk postpartum in a future lactation (F52). Bone scans and anthropometric and dietary assessments were conducted. RESULTS: Sixty-eight women participated (35 at both NPNL and F52 and 33 at only one time point): n = 59 NPNL (n = 31 calcium, n = 28 placebo) and n = 44 F52 (n = 24 calcium, n = 20 placebo). The mean (±SD) time from L52 was 4.9 ± 1.9 y for NPNL and 5.0 ± 1.3 y for F52. Size-adjusted bone mineral content (SA-BMC) was greater at NPNL than at L52 in the placebo group (P ≤ 0.001) but not in the calcium group (P for time-by-group interaction: lumbar spine, 0.002; total hip, 0.03; whole body, 0.03). No significant changes in SA-BMC from L52 to F52 were observed in either group. Consequently, the lower SA-BMC in the calcium group at L52 persisted at NPNL and F52 (P ≤ 0.001): NPNL (lumbar spine, -7.5 ± 0.7%; total hip, -10.5 ± 1.0%; whole body, -3.6 ± 0.5%) and F52 (lumbar spine, -6.2 ± 0.9%; total hip, -10.3 ± 1.4%; whole body, -3.2 ± 0.6%). CONCLUSION: In rural Gambian women with a low-calcium diet, a calcium supplement of 1500 mg/d during pregnancy resulted in lower maternal bone mineral content in the subsequent lactation that persisted long term. This trial was registered at www/controlled-trials.com/mrct/ as ISRCTN96502494.

Author(s): 
Jarjou, Landing M. A.
Sawo, Yankuba
Goldberg, Gail R.
Laskey, M. Ann
Cole, Tim J.
Prentice, Ann
Item Type: 
Journal Article
Publication Title: 
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Journal Abbreviation: 
Am. J. Clin. Nutr.
Publication Date: 
Sep 2013
Publication Year: 
2013
Pages: 
723-730
Volume: 
98
Issue: 
3
ISSN: 
1938-3207
DOI: 
10.3945/ajcn.113.061630
Library Catalog: 
NCBI Published Medical (?)
Extra: 
PMID: 23902782 PMCID: PMC3743734

Turabian/Chicago Citation

Landing M. A. Jarjou, Yankuba Sawo, Gail R. Goldberg, M. Ann Laskey, Tim J. Cole and Ann Prentice. Sep 2013. "Unexpected long-term effects of calcium supplementation in pregnancy on maternal bone outcomes in women with a low calcium intake: a follow-up study." The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 98: 3: 723-730. 10.3945/ajcn.113.061630.

Wikipedia Citation

<ref> {{Cite journal | doi = 10.3945/ajcn.113.061630 | issn = 1938-3207 | volume = 98 | pages = 723-730 | last = Jarjou | first = Landing M. A. | coauthors = Sawo, Yankuba, Goldberg, Gail R., Laskey, M. Ann, Cole, Tim J., Prentice, Ann | title = Unexpected long-term effects of calcium supplementation in pregnancy on maternal bone outcomes in women with a low calcium intake: a follow-up study | journal = The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | date = Sep 2013 | pmid = | pmc = }} </ref>